Thursday 25 January 2018

As Live Production: Initial Job Research

As Live Production: Initial Job Research

In order to make sure I am well informed and prepared for the job's I have applied for on this production I have undergone some initial research into the roles I will be taking on.

Floor Manager
For this production, my primary role is as a floor manager. 

BBC Academy defines a floor manager's role in the following way "As floor manager, You listen to the producer and director to make sure everything on the floor is going to plan".(Sharpe, 2016)

Image result for TV floor managerProspects.ac.uk goes on to say that a floor manager “acts as the link between the director and the many people involved in a production on the studio floor”. (Ltd, 2018)

As a floor manager for this production, I realise that I will be responsible for ensuring all floor staff e.g. cameras, sound, lighting etc. are following the plans laid out by the directors and producers. If there is a change in the plan then I have to communicate this to the floor and get them to act accordingly.

My role also extends to the talent and contributors. I need to make sure that at all times the talent knows whats going on. They need to be aware of the running order, which cameras they are talking to and how they should be positioned. 

Along with the gallery PA's as floor manager, I am responsible for making sure the show runs to time. If we need to extend or speed up a section, I need to communicate that to both talent and crew.

It is important that both crew and guests/audience are briefed on what they are required to do, when, and know what to do in the event of an emergency or a sudden change in scheduling. 

Hand Signals- While researching the role of floor manager I became aware that there are certain hand signals that you need to be aware of. This is so you can communicate effectively with crew and talent without the need to shout (which could potentially be picked up on a recording, or over complicate things).



I researched and watched several youtube videos in order to learn these hand signals before applying for the role, so that I could demonstrate my knowledge in an interview. 






Below are links to the ones I found to be the most useful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbYT98IvrM0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vts210QiT5Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTqiuIfhvJ8

Image result for tv floor manager hand signalsHand Signals have a variety of uses. They can be used to communicate lengths of time (as seen above), for example, if there are only 30 seconds left of a VT or until we go live on air, then you would inform all crew and talent through a designated hand signal.

They can also be used to show talant which camera they should be facing/which camera is live.

They can be used to command changes in positioning, for example, if they want two people to move closer together, there is a specific gesture for this. 

They are great for when there is a change in the situation/scheduling. For example, if the director says that we are running out of time and need to speed up, you would use a gesture to communicate this to the talent. 

A floor manager has many more responsibilities which I look forward to exploring in this production.

Researcher
My secondary role for this production is as a VT researcher. 

Creative Skillset.com describes a researchers job in the following way “TV Researchers originate or develop programme ideas, drawing on their knowledge and understanding of industry requirements, and present their findings to decision makers”. (Skillset, 2018)

As a researcher for this project, I am responsible for helping to generate and source ideas for the shows VT's. 

As a researcher I am not just an ideas generator, I am also responsible for ensuring that the information that I and others provide, is factually accurate. This is so that we can avoid stipulation and mistakes when this information is scripted and or read on air. 

Although we have a designated casting director for this project, a researcher will work with them to source possible contributors for the show. 

For this role, I also looked online for tips on how to be a good researcher Bellow is a link to a video I found particularly useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=ZmzO5JfHN94




From my initial research, I have concluded that to be a good researcher I should have the following key skills. 

  • have excellent verbal and written communication skills
  • pay precise attention to detail
  • be able to conceptualise ideas and think visually
  • show initiative and possess strong problem-solving skills
  • Have good subject knowledge in order to communicate ideas effectively with a team.
I have been initially assigned to research independent stores and online sellers like. I will compile information on each and compare them. I will also prepare a list of sources that could potentially be used for interviews/contributors. 

Bibliography
Ltd, G. P., 2018. Job profile Television Floor Manager. [Online]
Available at: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/television-floor-manager
[Accessed 25 January 2018].

Sharpe, E., 2016. Guide to a TV studio. [Online]
Available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/en/articles/art20130702112135564
[Accessed 25 January 2018].

Skillset, C., 2018. Researcher (TV). [Online]
Available at: http://creativeskillset.org/job_roles/308_researcher_tv
[Accessed 25 January 2018].



No comments:

Post a Comment