Wednesday 18 October 2017

TV News: Edit Diary Day 3

TV News: Edit Diary Day 3

Today was the third and one of the most productive edit days. I went to the studios nice and early to get a head start ready for our rough cut viewing on Thursday. 



Alex came in as well today to help give a fresh glance at the project. And I'm very happy to say that today he was incredibly respectful of the space I needed to edit. He was kind enough to let me work alone for an hour or so to get a head start before he came in to watch. And when he did watch what I had produced we were able to have a proper discussion about what needed to be changed. We didn't see eye to eye on everything but he learned to respect me as an editor and was respectful of my decisions and let me have final say on a lot of things, for which I am incredibly grateful. I felt like I was really being listened to and as lead editor I'm making a valuable contribution to the team. 

I had been working on a split screen "live" effect which took a lot of time and effort to make. At first Alex wasn't keen on it but through reasonable discussion we were able to tweek it to reach a happy compromise/middle ground.



Today was very productive. We were able to complete a lot of things on the edit list. Alex helped by finding some press release footage from Tesla while I synced up all the audio from the Panasonic, with the go-pro footage.

Alex also wrote a list of some "pick up" shots that we needed (mostly interior shots of his car). As well as writing out the voice over that we will need to record for the second half of the package (we need to do this soon in my opinion so we have a clearer idea of how long our project will be).


We made a few alterations to the package to make it more effective, and layed all the foundations for the second part. 
At this point in the day I really got "in the zone" I was fully concentrating on getting all the shots for our "Live" in and having them fit together. It was here Alex picked up that I was "in my element" and knew it was best to leave me to it rather than interrupt my flow. He went home to work on the voice over script and give me some space to work (which I was incredibly grateful for).

By the end of the day I had finished placing all the clips and syncing the audio for our "live" interview. Before Alex left i made sure to ask if there were any specific angles he wanted to showcase in this section, and I did my best to fulfill his requests. This meant that we had a rough cut ready for tomorrow. I will make sure to show the group in the morning as I want their opinions on a few shots before showing Helen. 

When i went home that day I also prepared some more graphics that we can use.


No comments:

Post a Comment