Tuesday 17 October 2017

TV News: Edit Diary Day 2

TV News: Edit Diary Day 2

Today was the second day of editing. My intentions for today were to finish of the package and polish what I had already done. 




Alex came in today to see what I'd been up to and I was eager to get his opinion. To start with he helped me locate some of the clips I was missing that I wanted to include in the package. 

He also helped me decide which clips should be shown in the studio introduction, as well as pointing out a few shots that need cropping/cutting, straightening or otherwise tweaking, that i may not have noticed myself.  

He continued to make suggestions as the day continued. We had a few discussions and there were times we didn't always agree with each other. Because Alex is used to producing all areas of projects he wasn't used to working with and listening to a lead editor (AKA me). As a result he did want to take control at times, and I did find him looming over my shoulder on occasion, thinking about what he would have done differently. However I admit I was probably the same during the shooting process, at times I probably tried to overstep my boundaries and try to direct, so neither of us are perfect.

However I can happily say that as the day went on Alex did realize that he was invading my space/expertise. By the end of the day he began to realize how I worked and began to trust my post production expertise. 

As the lead editor on this project (and since my interests/expertise lie in post production) I know how I work which the others are starting to respect. I like to have a bit of space when I edit and not feel like someone is constantly watching over my shoulder. I like to get others feedback but I like to finish a section and call someone over before hearing there thoughts, so that there is plenty of context and refinement. 



Today was productive once again as I polished the studio section and was able to put together a rough cut of our package. I've been keeping detailed notes of things I need to do/improve in this edit which Alex really helped with.  

Bellow are some of the notes we made, some of which were acted upon today:


  • Replace bike shot in intro with different form of transport.
  • Find the correct fonts to use in graphics.
  • Find more shots of Alex driving away.
  • Discuss order of package with the rest of the group.
  • Match the Panasonic audio with the go-pro footage.
  • Find A background for the green screen.
  • Balance some audio levels and find backing music for intro.
  • Find some press release footage from Tesla.
  • Prepare further graphics for Live, studio, and package.

No comments:

Post a Comment