Monday 23 October 2017

Edit Diary: Day 4

Edit Diary: Day 4

Today I headed in to the studios to piece together the footage from the "Live" that we shot on Saturday.
Although we headed back to my house on Saturday to digitize the footage, this was my first popper chance to review what we'd shot. I was pleased with the results and was also able to critically analyse my shots. As I recalled the second take went a lot better than the first. My cut in's were nicely framed but due to the fact I was zoomed in, panning between the two people wasn't particularly smooth, so I think that would be a good point to change in to a two shot.

The tripod camera was nicely framed, and despite the wind remind steady (there was one point that the camera strap blows across the bottom of the shot but it isn't too noticeable and could probably be cut around). 

One thing Alex and I noted when looking at the footage in the edit is that the tripod camera looked a bit grainy. Some quality appears to have been lost, the most likely cause of this was that the ISO was set too high. As a result we will try not to use too much of this shot in the edit. 

At the moment I haven't cut down AJ's interview as I want to see how much time I will have to play with once the new studio stuff is in. 

We then had Sam Creamer watch our edit so far and offer some pointers. He had a few suggestions:

  • The package was very strong but some of the in-car shots go on for a little too long slowing the energy of the piece a little. He suggested we cut to these shots half way through a sentence or at a natural in-point. 
  • He noted that the audio levels in places could use a little work, especially in windy shots. 
  • He liked the live, but recommended we use more close up shots or perhaps a cut away here and there.
Tomorrow we will record our new studio shots. I have checked with the others to make sure the script is prepared and learned and made the appropriate room and equipment bookings. Once this is filmed I can make significant progress towards finishing the edit.  


No comments:

Post a Comment