Wednesday 25 October 2017

Edit Diary: Day 6

Edit Diary: Day 6

Today was the final day of editing before our project submission tomorrow. I headed in to the studios that morning to sort out the finishing touches and act on Helen's feedback. Alex very kindly let me work alone for a couple of hours like I asked, this meant I could get a head start and prepare some sequences ready for viewing and his opinion. 

I used the morning to export some of the graphics Helen asked for like the map sequence. While that was running on one computer I made the most use of my time by using another computer to re arrange the shots in the Live like Helen asked. 

Alex came in at this point and I showed him what I had done which he seemed happy with. He had done a little work on the Live to help me out already and I only made this stronger and was careful not to tamper too much. 

After this i moved on to fixing some of the text effects I had prepared. While watching the "Gadget Show" for inspiration I was inspired by a shot they had done and attempted to re create it in my own style. Alex was apprehensive about the idea first but we were able to reach a compromise. 

The next thing was to add a few effects and minor shot changes to the package. This included adding a map effect that Helen asked for. However Alex was never overly keen on this idea to begin with. This was one instance where we had major creative differences and had a falling out because of it. 

I was really keen on the idea and had a vision in my head of how I wanted it to look. Alex didn't consider it very relevant and seemed to want to get rid of it. This is where I got very annoyed as I felt like Alex was trying to take control again, (stripping me of the one area of the project I felt made me special) and didn't appreciate my opinion, or the time and effort I had put in.

However the main problem was that neither of us were particularly willing to listen to the others opinion. Tensions were rising at this point due to stress and to avoid the argument escalating any further we sat apart for half an hour or so to work on other things. Alex updated hos blog while I prepared more graphics.

Once we had time to "cool off" I showed Alex the graphics I had made which he was pleased with. After this we tentatively re-approached the graphic that caused the argument. We were fortunately able to reach a compromise, Alex was happy for the Graphic to stay if it was placed the way he asked, and we were able to move on. 

At this point I think Alex realized how I felt he was overstepping his boundaries, and for the rest of the day he was respectful of my decisions as an editor even if he personally didn't agree. This made me much happier and feel like I was valued. 

I used the rest of the time to insert all the graphics I had prepared and Helen asked for which really boosted the project.

I had an animated graphic for when we are Live.

Title cards for each new person that appears. 

I also made a graph and some animated text/pictures that back up and visually represent the facts Alex delivers in his new voice over.

Alex helped me to cut some of the shot lengths in the package like Helen asked, so more voice over and OOV/SOT could be used. 

I placed appropriate images Alex sent me to match some of the commentary. 

The final step was to balance out the audio levels like Helen asked and color correct some shots. I adjusted all the levels to centre around -6DB as well as making sure certain shots faded gently in to one another instead of violently jumping in volume. Meanwhile Alex ensured all our mono audio was made in to stereo.

It would have been nice to play around with some music, but since our sound engineer Andrew didn't seem to want to come in today it was difficult since the one track he sent me didn't really fit.

Alex stayed with me nearly to the end, but left to give me the space I needed to finish up some graphics work and re-arrange some shots, without feeling like he was peering over my shoulder. I also found a home for the footage of the old vs new electric car race Helen suggested we chase up.

Overall today was very productive, I am very pleased with the finished project I have put together, and despite an argument half way through the day, we ultimately worked efficiently as a team.

I will show the group the edit tomorrow in case they want to suggest any last minuet changes I missed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment