Friday 22 September 2017

TV News: Camera Workshop

TV News: Camera Workshop

Today we had our first camera workshop of the second year.
We were introduced to some of the new cameras and equipment that we had available this year. 

We managed to get hands on with the new Panasonic 4K cameras and we learned about all the different settings and features they had available. 

Image result for panasonic 4kImage result for panasonic 4k

I learned more about the 4K format and that the number of pixels and information doesn't just help create better quality images. In fact that's not the main focus in some cases, since the format stores so much more information it allows for much more flexibility when editing. 

You can really push the settings e.g. colour pallets, contrast, exposure etc. far more than you could with 1080. Meaning you can really bring out the full potential of your image without ruining the quality. You're corrections can look far more realistic but also cinematic which as an editor I am keen to experiment with.

What's great about these cameras is that they have variable frame rate. meaning we can adjust the fps depending on the situation e.g. 24/25. This includes the ability to shoot in slow motion which could make for some really interesting shots.

Like the other cameras they have great zoom and detailed focus capabilities, they have zebra, histogram, ND filters and the like to assist with different lighting situations.

Inserted is a brief clip of me conducting a few experimental shots with the camera on various settings. Since this was my first time I didn't get the settings quite right, but it is still interesting to watch and was a learning process.

I didn't get nearly as much time as I would have liked to investigate, which is ok in a way since I don't really see myself as a camera operator, but I would still like some time to learn more about how they work.


No comments:

Post a Comment