Wednesday 1 May 2019

Major Project: Editing-What's to come sequence

Major Project: Editing-What's to come sequence

The whats to come sequence ended up being more of a challenge to edit than I had anticipated and I ended up creating two versions of it. 

The first version saw Alex sitting in his room giving a PTC to the camera where he explains in depth the challenges he will face in this documentary. This was actually very hard to cut, as Alex kept pausing and I had very little relevant material to use to cover it. And to connect each point I only had a weird shot of Alex's forehead. I did my best but in general I was not happy with this sequence at all. 



So I used some of my creative producer influence and after much discussion with Simon, I came up with a new idea that I eventually persuaded Alex to try.

This new sequence was more visually interesting in my opinion. It features Alex in the car on the way to meet Abbi Pulling. So the journey metaphor is instantly there. This time Alex had scripted what he needed to say so there were far less pauses and the PTC was much tighter and didn't drag on. 


Thanks to being in the car I also had plenty of relevant, and visually stimulating footage to cut away too if he did pause. The only issue I had with this sequence was getting the audio to match up and work. Although Alex was clip mic'd it still didnt sound great and I had to do a lot in audacity to get it to sound similar to the other sequences, then had to boost the levels. 

There was also some minor audio glitching which lead to the sync getting messed up par the way through. Although I fixed this there was still some noticeable popping. But despite my best efforts, I could not resolve this.

None the less it worked 10X better than the previous version and works nicley to set up and connect to ABbi Pulling's interview. 

No comments:

Post a Comment