Wednesday 1 May 2019

Major Project: Editing-Abbi Pulling Interview

Major Project: Editing-Abbi Pulling Interview

The first interview in our documentary is with 2X Karting champion Abbi Pulling who advises Alex on fitness.

When editing this sequence I had some success early on, but some challenges to overcome later down the line. The first half of the sequence was quite straight forward, being a single camera set up, I didn't have to worry about matching shots. Also despite having 2 separate clip mic's it proved quite easy to sync them both.  

The second half of the interview was more challenging. I was able to put my research to good use hear, carefully constuecting L-Cuts to connect the two halves together neatly. But before that I had to match the audio form the second sequence. 

It was very windy on this shoot and for some of the cameras they couldn't hear either Abbi or Alex over the wind, so I had to match up the sound manually through visuals. Which although very challenging and time-consuming, worked well in the end. But i had to go right in to my timeline and adjust the clips by micro frames just to get it perfect. 



From here there wasn't too much trouble in matching the shots and I put together the remainder of the interview in fairly good time, but still slower than I would have liked. 

Then it came to the changes. Straight away I knew we were pushed for time, so I cut out the majority of the first half of the interview early on as it added little to Alex's story.

I then had to cover the opening of the sequence with some B-Roll to hide the initial shakey camera as cailan finds his pacing. Although this goes on for longer then I would have liked, it works ok and just looks like an extended L-cut. 

I out in relevant cut aways and manipulated the focus of them slightly to make them more visually interesting and guide the audience's focus. Alex and I had some disagreements about which cutaways to use but i eventually came around to his idea. 

Simon then made us make the hard decision of cutting the interview down further. This actually proved quite difficult as i had trouble getting the audio transitions to sound natural. After a lot of keyframing, I managed to bodge it but i wasn't entirely satisfied. I personally feel it's now a bit too short but it is at least successful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment