Sunday 14 April 2019

Major Project: Race Day

Major Project: Race Day

Today was our final day of shooting on this project, and it was probably the biggest day as well. This was Alex's big race, the thing this whole journey had been leading up to. 

Before this race I worked extreemly hard to get us trackside media access. I had been discussing this event with Brands Hatch for months and knew from the outset that it was going to be difficult. I  began negotiations weeks in advance, emailing and phoning the media team. When our main contact proved unhelpful I attempted to discuss with his supervisor in order to justify our case. 

I filled out all of the relevant paperwork, sent over our public liability insurance. Gave details of our previous arrangements, and even submitted an extremely detailed cover letter for our application.



But despite my best efforts, Brands hatch made it clear that they reserved trackside access on race weekends, exclusively for large pre-established corporations such as ITV film crew or motorsport magazine photographers. Only large organisations that they had a pre-existing relationship with were to be granted trackside access. This was incredibly frustrating as the event we were attending was a significantly small one, and as such no one from these organisations would be interested in covering it, so it is not like we'd be in there way. They simply would not grant us this level of access though. 

But i didn't give up and managed to reach an arrangement. I got us media access and free entry to the event. And we had permission to film in the pitlane and any spectator areas we wanted. So although not ideal, arranging this in advance allowed us to adapt our plans accordingly. We scouted the track the day before to asses new locations and decided it was best to assign people to the same stations used in the racing licence and our first test shoot. 


I spent the day before the race collating every bit of information we would need. I found the schedule on the MSV website, planned out how long each part of the race would take, so that I could estimate when camera operators should switch positions. 

I pulled together Alex's camera plans and went over the shotlist carefully to work out how it would logistically unfold. Then prepared individual packs for each one of our camera operators. These packs featured a camera plan, shot list, schedule, call sheet, circuit map, backup plans, and storyboards. So that everyone had all the information they could possibly need.

We arrived at the circuit at the time I scheduled which gave as a good hour to get signed on as media, meet Sam, attend the briefing etc. Then it was time for the additional crew to arrive. In addition to us, I had arranged for Jon to be there, as well as Alex Hargood (who I was keen to get back after he did such a great job on our previous shoot).

I took everyone down to the paddock where I gave everyone a clear briefing that I had practised. I explained exactly how the day would pan out, running them through the schedule I had prepared and detailing when Alex would be out on track and where everyone would be during this. This went very successfully and I addressed any concerns my crew had quickly and efficiently. I was keen to do this to prove my worth as producer on our last shoot and also to relieve all pressure from Alex so he could focus on racing. (although he did try to interfere at the start but soon left me to run things). 

Once this was completed I distributed walkie talkies and camera packs do evryone could stay in contact. Then proceeded to help each of the camera operators get to their assigned locations. Learning from donington I carefully distributed spare SD cards to each crew member, noting who had which one and where they should keep them/who they should return them too.


Whilst Alex attended his driver's briefing, before the qualifying session started, I went around one more time to check everyone got set up alright and was ready to film when I gave the word. 

I then headed back to Cailan, who I spent most of the day with. By now i had worked out a healthy balance with him. I would keep out of his way and let him get on with his filming without interference, but would keep track of the shotlist and regularly check in with him to find out how closely it was being followed and if he needed any help. The communication between us that day was some of the most effective its ever been and we worked together as one unit. 

The qualifying session went ahead without any issues and once it had finished, I asked the camera operators to remain where they were to give Cailan the space he needed to film reaction shots of Alex and a PTC with Sam.

Once this was complete I headed out to check on everyone. Asking them if they had any issues, checking over their footage and then instructing them to head back to the pits for lunch. 

During lunch and the large gap we had before the race, I took the opportunity to didge all the morning footage. Giving cailan the space he needed to film a PTC with Alex. I had also scheduled for the cameras to be charged during lunch which I supervised. 

Once all cameras were charged and everyone was fed, I went through eh shotlist again with everyone and detailed the new positions they would be in for the afternoon. Some minor changes had to be made hear as it was impractical for one of our operators (Nick) to get to his assigned location. Fortunately, I had prepared for this eventuality and referred him to his back up position/camera plan.

Once I had addressed any questions or concerns from the crew, I checked my schedule and got everyone to head back out to their location slightly early so that we were 100% ready when the time came to start filming. 

Once again I stuck close to cailan and got ready with my stopwatch (which I had brought with me to keep track of time in case the race started late) so i could tell people exactly when to change positions. 

Before the race started I also spoke to the staff in the media office about the best way to record the race commentary (which we planned to use in our edit). They showed us that we could access it through our phones and record it that way, so I set that up in my car to ensure it recorded without interference. 

As the race began I informed everyone to start recording, whilst I stayed close to Cailan to make sure he got all the reaction shots and actuality he needed of Alex as Sam went out in the car.

We were all ready for the change over when Sam came in to the pitlane slightly early and appeared to be driving very slowly. It transpired that he had hit a curb during the last part of qualifying and dmaged the axel of the car. He instructed Alex to get in as he tried desperately to see if he could repair the car in time. Cailan got all around the car to film this actuality whilst I informed everyone that there was a possible delay. 

We then had a very agonising and nervous wait whilst Sam tried everything he could to get Alex out there. But it just didn't happen. The car was too badly damaged to continue the race, and Sam had to tell Alex that he wouldn't be going out today. We managed to get this on camera, but were put in to a small state of shock.

With all our planning and preparation, we now found ourselves in a situation beyond our control where the ending planned for our documentary had disappeared in front of us. I informed the crew that Alex wouldn't be going out but had them stay where they were until we figured out a plan of what to do. 

With no shotlist to work from Cailan and I found ourself a bit at odds, but Cailan did his best to capture some further actuality. It was at this point that fellow driver Rod came to speak to Alex. While Cailan filmed this conversation I went out to talk to our camera operators. They were all very understanding and professional about the situation. Suggesting possible ways we could draw this scene to a close.

Once back in the pitlane we took some time to have a think and try to figure out what to do next. Once it had all sunk in for Alex, he surprised us both by remaining reasonably neutral, perhaps even upbeat about the situation. So him cailan and I headed up to the media centre where we could sit at a table and plan what to do
next. 

After discussion we came up with a few different ways to end this documentary. Which basically involved having our closing PTC here at the circuit, instead of the diary room. We would just need to change the questions/answers slightly. We also talked about filming other actuality, that could potentially a closing line of story. Cailan did a great job of drawing up a list of shot we now needed to get before the end of the day, in order to have enough material for a new ending. 

We filmed the closing PTC, trying it a few different ways and Cailan and Alex then went to film some final actuality while I collated the SD cards and didged the final footage.

So overall, although the day ended up going completely off plan, we really pulled together as a team to come up with a new ending that I think will give cailan a few different options, when he comes to edit this sequence. 

Communication between all group members was fantastic today, and I cannot fault our teamwork as it was really professional. If i had one criticism, it would be that we could have filmed more actuality after we found out Alex couldn't race as I think more reaction shots would have been nice. But ultimately I feel that although we did not get the ending we planned, we still got one that is effective. We shall just have to talk to Simon about how we approach it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment