Wednesday 7 November 2018

Pre-Production: Project Development (New School, New Title, New Pitch)

Project Development: New School, New Title New Pitch


After the feedback I received from my recent pitches and tutorials I have been hard at work to act upon it.

Some of my draft titles include “Lights Camera Action” and “Sing and dance your way from Australia to the UK”. But I didn’t like either of these, firstly one was quite long and didn’t roll of the tongue very well. Neither of them felt like they fitted the channel 4 brand and honestly felt a little bit cringe to say out loud. However I eventually settled on a new title “All The Worlds A Stage”. I liked this one since it was short and snappy, it fitted the channel 4 brand of “doing whatit says on the tin” and sums up my show quite nicely. Even a casual viewer could pick up on the Shakespeare reference and infer that the show is preforming arts related.

I also went through multiple pitch drafts before finding one I liked. These included “Stage Schools help teach people the art of pretending. But when all the worlds a stage are the people real or are they just players?” and "Performing Arts ignites the passions of people world wide, but while they might share the same scripts do they also share the same stories”? Neither of these felt particularly snappy and didn’t do a very good job of summing up my series. I needed something that got audiences interested and gave them just enough information about the show that told them what to expect but left them wanting more. Neither of these did a good enough job in my opinion, but the one that did was “Many people dream of a life in the spotlight, but at opposite ends of the world do those dreams differ or connect us all together?”. Again this filled the channel 4 brand of doing what says on the tin, and describes my series in an enticing way.

After taking on broad Simons previous feedback I also came across a new stage school in rural Queensland Australia. The Jute theatre academy is a much smaller school that has a strong focus on helping its local community and providing a supportive environment for its students. When reading their blog I found they have humble beginnings that resemble the same passions as Julie has for Prima. This school takes in students who may not be that familiar with performing arts and encourages them to reach their undiscovered potential which is a really positive theme that not only helps my series, but creates more of a parallel with the UK’s system.

No comments:

Post a Comment