Tuesday 15 May 2018

Transition: Evaluation

Transition: Evaluation

This project was a new challenge for me and really helped me focus on my prefered role as an editor. I learned plenty from this unit, I got to learn some new skills and brush up on ones I haven't used in a while.

The pre-production stage went relatively smoothly. Going in to this project I was confident and pleased with the amount of room I had to adapt the source material as an editor. Even though we changed our idea, we were still able to get locations, casting, and a shot list sorted in time (although perhaps later than was prefered). 

I watched the original episode and sequence countless times in preparation for this edit, which really helped me to pick out the finite details that I wouldn't have otherwise noticed. 

Our team working skills were effective and we were able to communicate effectively to prepare shot lists, graphics, costume and set design all in a short space of time.

We had access to some great looking locations that couldn't have been much better really. The locations were a fun challenge to shoot and even more fun to edit around. I found myslef exploring reverse shots and different close ups that I wouldn't have considered incorporating before now.

In the lead up to the shoot day we did perform a couple of test shoots. However looking back now I really think we needed to do more, especially with the more technical aspects like the Tv graphics and the drone. Since on locations and in the edit they proved to be some of the weaker and more difficult elements to get right. Having all those extras on set made for really visually effective shots, but also made life much more difficult, since we had to block through the scenes with each and every one of them which took a lot of time since they were so distracted by the equipment we had.

Unfortunately due to the very tight turn around on this unit it would have been difficult to fit futher test shoots in especially since we changed our idea. 

Focussing specifically on my role as the editor I am very happy with the output we produced. I believe I had a valuable input in this project. The use of graphics and sound design really helped me improve my already established skills.

Sound design in particular was one of the strongest elements of this project. I took on feedback very well acting on all the changes O could. 

My extensive note taking on set and key research in to the Black Mirror genre and edit style allowed for a smooth and reasonably quick edit. I was very organised during the post production, having many of the visual or sound elements I wanted, either pre prepared, or at the very least planned out. 

Colour grading for this project also went very well. It is something I have touched on in the past but never focussed on to this extent. I worked very closely and effectively with the DOP applying my knowledge of colour theory to help enhance the eery on edge atmosphere that the audience can immerse themselves in. For this sequence, I also recorded foley sound and was able to play with a lot of levels, shot sizes/durations to make a nicely paced realistic seamless sequence.

If I had more time I would have liked to record a little more foley to help enhance some of the quieter shots. I spent a lot of time on the last few shots trying to get their pacing to match while looking realistic. I utilised slowmo and other effects which vastly improved the ending. However, if we had more time I would have liked to work on it more, maybe even re-shoot parts to eliminate some of the minor continuity errors that I was unable to correct.

But overall I think I produced a very effective edit and despite minor creative differences at times, I worked well with my group to produce a great looking piece of work and focus myself down on to one production role. 

No comments:

Post a Comment