Tuesday 18 September 2018

Pre-Production: Initial Thoughts

Pre-Production: Initial Thoughts

After being re-introduced to the pre-production unit I carefully considered which option I wanted to do and what my plan would be for this unit.

After careful consideration I decided to choose the Hypothetical Pre-production option. This would allow me to express my creativity and explore my interests while not facing limitations such as budget, access, time etc.

Although I will be focussing on the Hypothetical pre-production, since I am taking on the rolls of producer and editor in my major project group, I will be a consultant and be making role appropriate input towards Alex Baldwin's major project pre-production as it will form the base of the plan for our group major project later in the year.

My idea for this unit is to plan a documentary series focussing on different performing arts schools.

I chose to do this for several reasons.

Firstly I am passionate about the performing arts and have been involved in the industry for a number of years, and since it is something I am passionate about I think I can find some great hypothetical stories and contributors.

Secondly I remember growing up watching shows like "school for stars" that followed kids on they're school journey and explored their journey through acting exams and shows. However this show ended back in 2011 and since then the only thing close to it on the market are American reality shows. While "school for stars" was aimed at a very young audience and tended to be quite generalised, the American shows like "Dance Moms" were very character driven, but also hyper inflated to create drama and entertainment.

As such I believe there is a gap in the market here. I would like to create a show that follows different performing arts schools, aimed at slightly more mature audience and it would be a "character driven" documentary that follows particular people through their first major show or exam.

I think it would provide a useful insight in to how exams other than GCSE's and A-levles are structured and the different emotional journeys people go through to chase their passions. The series would also focus on the personal development of its subjects e.g. the level of nerve they have to overcome in order to appear in their first show.

From here I need to plan my concept in more detail; planning out details such as platform, broadcaster, audience demographic etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment